Friday, July 11, 2008

Graduation!


This June I had the amazing opportunity to represent my church and my district at the Iowa Annual Conference of the Methodist Church. This involves spending three days a Friday, Saturday, and Sunday in Ames along with 1000 other Methodists from around the state of Iowa. When spend the long weekend voting on all kinds of legislative issues from budgets to wording of procedures.


Not only was it an amazing experience to learn about this side of the church, and to hear amazing sermons and sing emotional hymns, but it was also the location of my graduation from the School for Lay Ministry. The School for Lay Ministry involves 12 weekend long classes spread over three years, going for a weekend 4 times a year. We are taught everything from Preaching and Bible Study to Care and Nurturing. It was an amazing experience and one that I cannot properly explain with words, but I made 8 other wonderful friends, who I believe will be lifelong friends, people we know we can always go to if we need anything...including a prayer request every now and then.


Anyways, during Conference on Friday night, my family came down to watch me walk across the stage and receive my certificate from Bishop Palmer himself! I was introduced as the baby of the class who had the first baby during the three years of school. I was always known as the young person, for the entire school I think! I had Colton in the middle of my second year of school and infact left Nathan home with the baby after just two weeks so I could spend the weekend at school! It sure was a sacrifice to finish Lay Ministry School, but I am very excited about what the future holds!

No comments: